Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Collegiate Peaks 50 Miler

I went up to Buena Vista, Colorado last weekend to get my race season going as everything is finally melting out after a snowy spring.  The area is probably better known to the boating crowds from Rock/Creek Down Under but with several fourteeners and hundreds of miles of trails (including the Colorado Trail) it is a sweet running or hiking destination (also a good Disco destination if you head to the local watering hole on Wednesday nights). As I drove into town Friday night I relived some old memories from the several summers that I guided raft trips on the Arkansas River. The race itself is a combo 25 mile and 50 mile event, with the 50 milers turning around and repeating the same loop in the opposite direction.  The course is mainly on four wheel drive roads with several miles of single track and a few of pavement.  It starts at 8000 feet and has around 5-6000 ft of climbing with some decent climbs.  

The race began at the end of Main Street by the river and with a few quick words from the race director we were off into the cold, foggy morning.  I settled into my pace and took in the mountain and river views.  The weather was cool and overcast for most of the morning; it just felt good to be out there running.  At the turnaround there was another 50 miler, Nick Clark (a UK transplant living in Fort Collins) right behind me me and a few others within a few minutes. There was a brief moment as I crossed the river and saw the town play hole that I was thinking "Maybe I should have brought my kayak and only done the 25 miler..."  Then I remembered that post-run ice baths feel warm compared to the Arkansas River in May.  After the turnaround we had a several mile climb up out of the river and for the next 10 miles Nick stayed about 30 seconds or so back, and we put 15-20 minutes on the 3rd and 4th place guys.  Right before the 38 mile aid station he caught me, and we chatted for a bit as we rolled into refuel.  He then put a few steps on me, but I started to feel really good (or really stupid) and decided that I should make a move on the next big climb.  I passed Nick and kept running steady and soon put some distance between us.  I didn't see him as I came into the last aid station at mile 44 so I chomped down a gel and headed for the finish.   The final few miles parallel the river on roads and single track, and apart from the headwind I felt pretty good, although I'm pretty sure they added a few extra miles than when I ran the same stretch at the start of the race (just like at the StumpJump when Dawson and the gang somehow make the parking lot in front of Signal Mtn High School longer at the finish).  I came into the finish at 6:58, five minutes off Tony Krupicka's CR from 2007 and the second fastest time in race history.  Nick came in a few minutes later at 7:03 and third place, Bryan Goding, came in at 7:37.  All in all, it was a good race and I was happy with the result.  The race was my first since StumpJump last year so I was anxious to see how my fitness for Bighorn was coming along.  Besides, with my brother moving back here in a few weeks, I'd better be fit so we can pound each other down.  Now, I just need to find a little polyester to wear to Disco night.

Gear list for race:
Patagonia Nine Trails jacket
Patagonia Silkweight T
Patagonia Nine trails shorts
Smartwool PhD ultralight running socks
Pearl Izumi Synchroseek III running shoes
Nathan waist pack
Ultimate Directions handheld bottle
--John

No comments:

Post a Comment